Tanya Burdett has been advising clients on strategic planning, impact assessment, and community engagement strategies for over 25 years. Tanya is committed to environmental and social planning principles as a core consideration in planning initiatives.
With a Masters in Environmental Studies and Bachelor of Applied Science in Planning, Tanya brings together an in-depth knowledge of land use, spatial planning, environmental management and public participation disciplines.
In Australia, Tanya actively works for various water, transport, energy and urban development clients to improve sustainability of their policies, plans, programs and projects.
In the UK, her work has led to successful outcomes for:
- Eco-towns planning policy in England
- Strategic Environmental Assessment Directive implementation in the UK
- Sustainability appraisal for new high-speed rail (HS2) in the UK.
Tanya is a PhD Candidate at the University of Melbourne. Her research focusses on integrated decision-making processes and strategic planning.
Tanya is also a Registered Planner (through the Planning Institute of Australia), a Licensed IAP2 Trainer (through the International Association for Public Participation), and holds active professional memberships with IAIA, IEMA, EIANZ and VPELA. She is also an Associate with the Temple Group Ltd.
Tanya continues to work with other organisations to improve approaches to environmental assessment and engagement. This includes close working closely with IEMA as an approved Training Centre.
Teaching Support/ Tutor / PhD Candidate – University of Melbourne (2018 – Present)
- Tutor in Urban Sustainability and Climate Change
- Guest lecturer in Participation Planning – Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning, School of Design.
Sessional Member – Planning Panels Victoria, Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning (2018 – Present)
- Panel member for planning scheme amendments – Pakenham East Precinct Structure Plan (2018)
- Distinctive Areas and Landscapes Standing Advisory Committee, Draft Surf Coast Statement of Planning Policy and Proposed Landscape Planning Controls (2021).
Director – Essential Planning Ltd., London UK (2004 – Present)
Planning, engagement, facilitation and capacity building services.
- Institute of Environmental Management & Assessment (IEMA)
- Netherlands Environmental Assessment Commission (NEAC)
- Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)
- HS2 Ltd
- Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) (now Ministry of Housing, Community and Local Government’s)
- Hertfordshire County Council.
IAP2 Trainer (2010 – Current)
Licensed IAP2 Certificate and Foundations Trainer facilitating Public Participation Training, Capacity Building and Organisational Culture Change workshops around the world.